Wild

Haiti.
We are taking the orphans to the beach today. Why is this such a fun event every single time?
The team hops into a small Toyota truck we are borrowing from a friend, and I hop into the drivers seat. These ladies all trust me so much, so I won't mention this is my first time driving a vehicle in Haiti. As my grandpa always said "it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission." Thank you Buppa. I'll ask forgiveness later. I pop the hood to try and wire the battery like Zee taught me to do last night. No luck. Am I doing it wrong?
I don't think so. Maybe we can drive it far enough to make it to Zee's work and he can help me from there. I put it in reverse and it works. I also wont mention to the girls that I haven't driven a standard since I rodeoed back in NY around 5 years ago. We drive down the bumpy road to Zee's workplace and all I can think of is how painful this trip must be for these ladies. Every single woman is so sunburned and this Toyota looks more like a packed lobster trap rather than a vehicle. All they're missing is rubber bands around their hands. I tell them to wait in the shade while I go get 
Zee and he comes out to save us. He said I wired it right but it's just not working today.
So he calls a mechanic/electrician/anything else you can think of and he comes to wire up the truck. The girls chat with people and hold babies and smile at this adventure while the truck gets fixed. After about an hour we are ready to go to!

We thank Zee and go on our way. The kids run to meet us. They are so excited. How am I going to fit all these people in that truck? Will I have to make two trips? This is Haiti so the answer is... we will fit everyone in one trip. We manage to pack 32 kids and adults into this truck.
Here goes nothing. I have two kids on my lap and am wondering how I am going to shift and use my clutch with all these legs, arms and bodies everywhere. I manage. My Wild One sits with me quietly and holds my hand when she can. She is still as wild as ever and Darlen says she sleeps in the streets very often. I love Wild One more than ever. Kids cover the girls as their sunburns peel and yet everyone is all smiles.


We arrive and everyone is so excited. Down the hill we go to the beautiful beach! All the little ones help each other and set their sandals and clothes to the side in little piles. Watching the first plunges is always my favorite. The cool ocean water takes their breath away. They splash and laugh and run and jump over waves. Sometimes they jump too late and the waves pull their feet out from under them as they go tumbling. The girls are covered in kids and I watch and laugh.

My Wild One has to poop...of course, so I head up the beach with her and while she squats and I am able to watch all the women and kids. This is such a beautiful scene. I wish there was some way to capture it. The water blue and sparkling. The white waves pulling everyone down. This beautiful group of women holding onto any little hand they can as they laugh and tease and play. How do can I capture the joy I am seeing and feeling and cover these pages with it? The kids are beginning to tire out so we meet at the top of the beach and everyone gets rinsed off with little plastic bags full of water. Up the hill we hike to pile back into the truck soaking wet and covered in sand and salt despite our attempts at rinsing off.


Wild one sits on my lap again and I see her hand sneaking onto the steering wheel. I guess I'll turn this into a driving lesson. Wild women and men should never be discouraged, only encouraged, no matter what age. If Wild One is brave enough to drive or to sleep in the streets then she is brave enough to change the world. Sometimes, we are discouraged of the deepest parts of who we are just because it isn't how we are "supposed to be" or its not how we are "supposed to act." Who were you before people told you who you should be? Were you wild? Were you outspoken? Were you shy? Were you gentle? Were you bold? If you are able to remember, be that. Be all that you are because someday that is exactly where you will find your joy. Can we ever do what we're called to if we aren't being all that we are? You are incredible. Wild or quiet. Bold or gentle. It was my sweet Wild One that reminds me of this as she sits on my lap and steers the truck. Wildness encouraged in the right way makes for powerful leaders. I wouldn't change this moment or this day for the world. Beck is covered in kids in the front seat. Rose, Heidi and Emma are covered with kids in the back seat and Marcy, Olivia and Jolene stand in the bed of the truck packed in with kids like sardines. What a beautiful day. What a wonderful group. So sunburned to the point of blisters and yet still loving and holding cuddling every little one. Thank you ladies for being tough and strong and up for absolutely everything. Thank you Wild One for always reminding me of who I am and where I am meant to be.    













Comments

  1. Well put K.O. I'll always remember what a little girl told me as we readied ourselves for our turn down a massive waterslide, she said, " don't be afraid lady, ya jus havta Believe in ya-seLF!" Teachers everywhere šŸ¤—

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep sharing your wonderful spirit

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts