Goals

Here I sit at my desk. I want to leave and quit so badly. With everything I have I want to get up and walk out this door. Maybe I could even make a dramatic exit by throwing papers on the ground and yelling “see ya later suckas!” My mind wanders for a moment until I am brought back to my computer screens. I stare at the isometric drawings I have been staring at for a year and a half, plug in a usb and stare at a few more. What am I doing here? I look out my window at the building across from me. No sunshine. No sky. Red bricks are all I can see. These bricks block my view of the sky. Look at all of them stacked up in the way of everything I want to see! How long did it take for these bricks to be stacked so neatly and so high into the sky?


Suddenly, these bricks help me remember something very important. I am my own bricklayer. I am building my future every single day I am here. Every single day I work is a day closer to my goal.
I wouldn’t be so grateful for the sun and the sky if I got to see it all the time.
I’m grateful for all the bricks in my life. The bricks that seemed to be blocking my path were only bricks to be used to build it. Brick by brick I will continue to construct, for my life, for my future, for my goals. Brick by brick. Job by job. Goal by goal. I feel like having goals is so important. It is what keeps us going. Goals can be big or small, but we have to have them. Achieving goals makes our hearts skip a beat and feel like life is worth the while.
I don’t know how long it will take me to build my building but someday, someday I will have it built and I will stand on top of it and see the sky.
Sometimes we feel like we will never see the sky and sometimes we feel like we are falling far behind. We aren’t. Sometimes we’re just in the construction process.

Comments

Popular Posts